While Jonah Falcon is at E3 2013, this week is an Outtakes podcast, started with a Dr. Who discussion, ended by a Game of Thrones “Red Wedding” discussion, and outtakes in between.
June 11th, 2013 by jonahfalcon · 1 Comment
June 4th, 2013 by jonahfalcon · 1 Comment
This week’s episode is the final episode before E3, and next week, an outtakes episode filled with Dr. Who and Game of Thrones discussion will run. After that, we’ll have some serious E3 2013 discussion, especially about what happens with Microsoft and Sony in particular.
No Gaming Flashback, but news includes:
- Pachter predicts $349 for PS4, $399 for Xbox One
- World of Warcraft movie ‘begins shooting‘ in Q1 2014
- Robert Bowling’s Robotoki raided by LAPD, mistake COD figure as armed intruder
- Documentary seeks to unearth 3.5M E.T. cartridges from landfill
- Oculus Rift developer Andrew Scott Reisse, 33, killed as bystander in police chase
- Shadow of the Eternals Kickstarter fundraising struggling
All that and Listener Feedback.
May 28th, 2013 by jonahfalcon · 5 Comments
This week is just Jonah Falcon and Jordan Lund, but the podcast is double length as the Xbox One dominates the last part of the podcast. There’s also the Gaming Flashback of Bungie’s Oni.
This week’s news includes:
- Games Industry Biz eulogizes Wii U, states it suffered “death by apathy”
- Xbox One revealed by Microsoft
- Microsoft: No fees for used games, special dispensation for gamers without internet
- Microsoft’s Greenberg: E3 presentation will be “all about the games”
All this and Listener Feedback.
May 21st, 2013 by jonahfalcon · No Comments
GameTrailers is live streaming the Xbox Reveal Event at 10am PST / 1pm EST – check it out in the video below after the break and let us know what you think!
May 14th, 2013 by jonahfalcon · 3 Comments
This week’s podcast features a Gaming Flashback of Halo: Combat Evolved, one of the longest such game segments in the podcast’s history, encompassing a third of the podcast.
This week’s news items includes:
- Blizzard decides against rolling back Diablo III servers following gold exploit
- Defiance to get 5 major DLC packs in the next year
- Report: Next-gen Xbox console called “Xbox Infinity”
- Obsidian expresses desire to develop Star Wars RPG
- EA to stop licensing with weapons manufacturers, will keep using branded guns
There’s only one reader response, but there is a Question of the Week: “What videogame genre are you completely burned out on?”
May 7th, 2013 by jonahfalcon · 1 Comment
[This episode is unedited, so be prepared for some naughty language.]
This week has some stunning news items, causing an overstuffed, long episode, so big even Jordan’s wife chimes in, and Jonah and Paul argue hotly over the last item. The Gaming Flashback for this episode is Super Star Wars.
This week’s huge news:
- EA gets exclusive license to publish Star Wars games, powered by Frostbite 3 engine
- Uplay causing problems with Steam version of Heroes VI expansion Shades of Darkness
- The Sims 4 officially announced by Electronic Arts
- Michael Biehn hints at Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon sequel
- Doritos Crash Course 2 coming May 9, still free
- Spiritual successor to Eternal Darkness hitting crowdfunding on May 6
- Gearbox dismisses Aliens: Colonial Marines lawsuit as “beyond meritless”
Also some listener feedback, plus this week’s Question: “What was your Golden Era of videogaming?”
April 30th, 2013 by jonahfalcon · 2 Comments
The regular podcast is back, after the Dr. Who outtakes podcast last week. The show runs a little long but it’s full of insight and wonderfulness. Mostly. This week’s Gaming Flashback is the classic arcade motorcycle racer Hang-On.
The podcast also has two week’s worth of news items, including:
- Next-gen Xbox formally being unveiled on 21st May in Redmond, WA
- Rumor: Next-gen Microsoft console will have DVR feature
- Leisure Suit Larry Reloaded out in June, “re-made, expanded and enhanced”
- BioShock Infinite, Xbox 360 lead March 2013 US sales according to NPD
- Nintendo bowing out of E3 Keynote
- Microsoft turned profit in fiscal 3rd quarter
- Batman: Arkham Origins inspired by Legends of the Dark Knight
Plenty of Listener Feedback, but no Question of the Week – just ask us anything.
April 23rd, 2013 by jonahfalcon · 1 Comment
Thanks to a screwup with recording, Episode 307 will have to be redone next week. However, this doesn’t mean there won’t be any show.
Instead, the second Dr. Who Special Episode is in its place, with outtakes taken after the show with Jordan, Jennifer and Paul discussing Dr. Who in the past four weeks. In short, they feel the quality is starting to slip.
April 16th, 2013 by jonahfalcon · 4 Comments
The crew bemoans the decline of handheld gaming as it gets dominated by mobile platforms like Apple iOS, while they rejoice at Justice League being available on Netflix Streaming. There’s no Gaming Flashback or Gaming History, but there is some Reader Feedback.
This week’s news items include:
- Batman: Arkham Origins confirmed for PC, consoles
- Domains for Mad Max videogames registered by Warner Bros.
- Report: Xbox 720 not always online, doesn’t block used games, supports backwards compat
- Jade Empire as an Xbox 360 launch title “would have been massive“
- Zeschuk: Old-school gaming in “sick market” right now, digital ‘not filling gaps’
Gamers can read Jordan’s “Death of Handheld Gaming” article here.
April 9th, 2013 by jonahfalcon · 3 Comments
Paul and Jordan realize the brilliance of duct taping a flashlight to a gun barrel, while more Doctor Who fodder was recorded for a future outtakes episode. Jonah and Paul also express amazement there’s no Sugar Race racing based on the arcade title found in Wreck-It Ralph. Finally, the podcast eulogizes Roger Ebert.
The news for the week includes:
- Disney shuts down LucasArts, cancels Star Wars 1313, Star Wars: First Assault
- Thief to feature “classic mode”, removing all assists
- Microsoft has a clear path to developing Killer Instinct after an agreement with Fox
- The Witcher 3 confirmed to be DRM-free
- Bethesda confirms “new version of Doom 4” being worked on, Rage 2 cancelled
There’s also Listener Feedback, and the Starcraft II: Heart of the Swarm contest is still open – a winner will be announced next week.